A brief history of the Powell Building, also known as the Victoria Site.
Known to many as Victoria, the original buildings of the Orme Girls’ School lie at the heart of today’s Powell building. Margaret Powell, the second Headmistress, was instrumental in adding the extension in the centre of the 1904 photograph below. The hall and library were added in 1907.
The 1920s photograph below shows the headmistress, Miss Sprunt, on her traditional lunch time “walk round”. Only the end elevation is still seen today.
The core of the present day Victoria frontage is in the 1907 watercolour below.
By the 1930s the new front entrance, staff room, reception and offices were in place and the building line had changed.
Pictured below is a present day side view of the Powell Building.We are very grateful to Graham Jones, former Head of Geography and current volunteer archivist at Newcastle-under-Lyme School, who has put together the content for these features.